Sheshnag Lake Photos
Sheshnag Lake Location
- Sheshnag Lake is located almost 23 km from Pahalgam and 11 km from Chandanwari Base Camp where Amarnath Yatra begins. The trek to this beautiful Lake is located in the Kashmir Valley and starts from Pahalgam; famous tourist spot. It is located about 23 km from Pahalgam at an altitude of 3590 m, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Jammu and Kashmir.
Sheshnaag Lake Story
- As per legend, when shiva was going to tell the secrets of eternal life to parvati then he decided to leave the sheshnag here. Another story per the locals is sheshnag himself created this lake and started live here. And people also says he even to lives here.
Best Time to Visit Sheshnag Lake
- Best time to visit the Sheshnag Lake is from April to September.
Why Sheshnag Lake is Famous For?
- Sheshnaag Lake is mostly famous for Camping and Trekking.
- Lake Sheshnag, lying at an altitude of 3590 meters, is an oligotrophic lake (a reservoir with a low content of algae and, therefore, with clean drinking water of high quality), which is home to several species of fish, including trout. Sheshnaag Lake is a high-altitude oligotrophic lake located on the path leading to the Amarnath Cave is 23 kilometers from Pahalgam in the Anantnag district of the Kashmir Valley, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, at an altitude of 3590 meters. Because the lake is oligotrophic, the water quality here is drinkable. This lake is accessible from Chandanwari after a 11 km hike.
Things to Remember While Visiting Sheshnaag Lake
- You won’t be able to swim in the Great Kashmir Lakes, so don’t overdo it with soap and shampoo.
- While trekking to the Great Lakes of Kashmir, you will need free hands to wash dishes, pitch tents and hold trekking poles. On a trek like the Great Lakes of Kashmir, you’ll endure some snow in July.
- These mountains are covered with snow and ice sheets that melt slowly so that the water flows into a deep furrow and forms a lake. Even at the height of summer, the water in the lake usually remains cold enough to make swimming in its waters almost impossible.
How To Reach Sheshnaag Lake
- Sheshnaag Lake is located around 120km. from Srinagar, 23km. from Pahalgam and 11km. from Chandanwari Base Camp. You can easily reach at Chandanwari by road. And the rest of distance from Chandanwari, you have to cover it from trekking of 11km. And people who are unable to trek, can opt for a horse ride.