About Madmaheshwar Temple
- From ancient times to the present day, the Madhyamaheshwar Temple or Madmaheshwar Temple has been a wonderful place to worship Lord Shiva. The Madhyamaheshwar Temple is the fourth Panch Kedar to be visited in the order of visiting the Lord Shiva Temple in the Himalayas.
- The temple is situated at an altitude of 3,497 m (11,473.1 ft).
- Madmaheshwar Temple is located in Garhwal district and is part of Rudraprayag district. In winter, the place remains inaccessible due to the heavy snowfall in the area, so during these months the temple authorities transferred the idol of Lord Shiva to Ukhimath and went through all religious customs and formalities. The temple complex is considered to be one of the most popular places for worshipers of Lord Shiva. The magnificent Shri Kedarnath Temple has a garbha grha for gatherings of pilgrims and tourists and a mandapa for gatherings of pilgrims.
History of Madmaheshwar Temple
- The report on the founding of Madhyamaheswar states that after the Mahabharata war, the Pandavas(on the advice of the sages and Lord Krishna) decided to pay respect to Lord Shiva to ask for absolution from the sin of gotra hatya(killing one’s own being) and bless them for salvation. The Pandavas enjoyed this reappearance in five different forms, they built temples in five places to worship and worship the Hindu god. The Pandavas first went to the holy city of Varanasi (Kashi), considered Shiva’s favorite city and famous for its Kashi Vishwanath temple, but Shiva wanted to avoid them as he was deeply resented by the death and dishonesty in the epic war of Kurukshetra. and therefore was insensitive to the prayers of the Pandavas.
- The little watering hole that embraces the Madhyamaheshwar or Madmaheshwar community brings a lot of tranquility and holiness, making it one of the best places to visit for peace and spirituality in Uttarakhand. The temple is as the cicadas say, and at the end of this lush meadow is the ancient Madhyamaheshwara temple, which is part of the Panch Kedar Yatra. The oldest temple, the so-called Vriddh-Madmaheshwar, is a small black sanctuary located on a high ridge, directly facing the peak of Mount Chokamba.
How to reach Madmaheshwar Temple
- If you are going by air, then you have to fly to Jolly Grant in Dehradun is 222 km away from Ukhimath. From airport you can hire cab for Ukhimath.
- If you are going by train, then you could ticket for Haridwar railway station which is 202 kms. far from the temple. From the station you can opt bus or cab for Ukhimath.
- Madmaheshwar Temple is well connected by road. So everyone can easily reach here.