About Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga
- Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga popularly known as Kailash of South, among Indias other 12 jyotirlingas.
- The temple is located a top of the hill named Srisailam, by the banks of the Patal Ganga, Krishna river, in Andhra Pradesh, Southern India. Shri Bhramaramba Mallikarjuna Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to deities Shiva and Parvati.
- Srisailam Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple is composed of separate temples for Mallikarjuna (Shiva) and Bhramaramba (Parvati). Veerasiromandapa, Nandi Mandapa, the main temple of Mallikarjuna (Shiva) and the main temple of Bhramaramba are located in one row, east-west. The temple has multiple shrines, with the Lord Mallikarjuna and the goddess Bhramaramba being the most visible.
- The walls of this place are wonderfully made of stories from the Mahabharata and the Ramayana which takes us back to these times in Vedic times. The temple is a famous spot in Andhra Pradesh, and stands as a testament of Vijayanagara architecture.
Story behind Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga
- According to another holy Hindu text, Skanda Purana, Lord Rama and goddess Sita visited Mallikarjuna jyotirlinga in Tretha Yuga. The temple at Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga is one of the most popular shrines in Hinduism, dedicated entirely to Lord Shiva. According to the story of the Mallikarjuna temple, here, both Mata Parvati and Lord Shiv were established as the Jyotirlinga.
Some Interesting Facts about Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga
- Being one of Lord Shiva twelve jyotirlingas, the magnificent Shiva Mallikarjuna Temple is important for both Shaktam and Shaivam Hindu denominations. Besides this, Shiva Mallikarjuna temple in Srisailam situated on top of mighty Mount Nallahmala is also believed to be one of eighteen shakti peethas of goddess Parvati. The Shri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple is situated on top of Nallamala Hills, with Krishna river flowing at its right hand side, which offers breathtaking picturesque views too. While you can visit Shri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple all through the year, visiting during festivals adds extra appeal to the darshan.
- The Mallikarjuna Swamy temple is unique as it is both Jyotirlinga and Shakti Peetha (special shrines for His consort, Goddess Parvati — 18 are available) — only three of these temples exist in India.
- It is significant for both the Hindu sects Shaivism and Shaktism, since this temple is called one of the Twelve Jyotirlingas of Shiva, and as one of eighteen Shakti-peethas, centres of Hindu goddesses. Importance The importance of Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga is that Mallikarjuna Linga is among the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva. Archana, Aarti, and Abhisekham are daily devotional services performed at this location. The best time to visit this location is during the evening hours, at night, at evening Aarti.
How to Reach Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga?
- By Air – Nearest Airport for Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga is Rajiv Gandhi International Airport. From airport the temple is 86 km. far. You can easily take bus from there.
- By Train – If you are going by train you have to arrive at Markapur Railway Station. From station the temple is 81 km. far.
- By Road– Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga can be easily reached by public transports like bus and cabs.