About Nageshwar Temple Dwarka
- Nageshwar Temple Dwarka also known as Nagnath Temple is an ancient Hindu shrine located at the Nageshwar village of Gujarat, approximately 15 kilometers away from Dwarka to Nageshwar. Shri Nageshwar Jyotirlinga is a sight to see beacause of popularness among modern cultures. One of the major attractions at Nageshwar temple is the huge statue of the chief deity, here standing 80 feet high. Devoted to Lord Shiva, the Nageshwar Temple is one of 12 temples of Lord Shiva, which is also among the oldest temples mentioned in the Puranas on Shiva.
- Nageshwar is one of the storied temples mentioned in the Shiva Purana, and is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas. Because of this, Jageshwara Dham, in Almora, Uttarakhand is usually identified as Nageshwar Jyotirlinga.
Story behind Nageshwar Temple Dwarka
- There are a lot of stories related to Shri Nageshwar Jyotirlinga Mandir by Lords, but most of them are related to naming of Darukavanam (of Dwarka) and establishment of Dwarka. This significant Lord Shiva Temple is believed to have been named as Darukavanam, an old epic name for the forests in India. Located in between the cities of Dwarka and the island of Bet Dwarka, which is located in Saurashtra coast in Gujarat, is this important Lord Shiva temple.
More about Nageshwar Temple
- When it comes to key Shiva temples in Gujarat, the Somnath Mahadev Temple and Nageshwar Jyotirlinga in Dwarka are at the top of the list. In case, you are planning on doing that, then you can follow the road-route to reach the Somnath temple. In fact, most visitors to Gujarat tend to follow a itinerary which includes both of these Shiva temples — they are, owing in large part, to being one of Indias 12 holy jyotirlingas.
- The Lord temple at Nageshwar is situated very conveniently between Gomti and Dwarka, it is also located very close to Bet Dwarka island on the coast of Saurashtra in Gujarat. The Nageshwar Lord temple has a lot of religious importance since Sri Krishna is generally believed to have pleased Lord Shiva by performing Rudrabhishekam here, while Lord Sankaracharya laid the foundations for his Western Matha in the Kalika Peetha here. You have a number of places in this region that you can visit, starting from the Bet of Dwarka, Gopi Talav, and several other places which have references in Lord Krishnas life and times.
- Nagnath Temple is one of the popular pilgrimage sites close to Ahmedabad, and is among the notable places that you should visit as part of your sightseeing packages of Dwarka. The temple has Shivlingam, an idol of Lord Shiva, – The God of Destruction, which is a part of the tri-partite composed of Brahma and Vishnu. Walk in to the nearby forests and you will find an old temple which is a part of the Darukavana Forest, mythologically said to be gifted to the wife of a demon called Daruka, who was the devotee of Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva.
How to reach Nageshwar Temple Dwarka
- By Air – If you are going by air then you have to arrive at Porbandar or Jamnagar Airport which is approximately 107 km. and 126 km.
- By Train – If you are going by train you have to arrive at Dwarka Railway Station. From Dwarka it is 18 km. far. You can easily opt bus, cab or auto for the mandir.
- By Road– If you are going Nageshwar Temple Dwarka by road, then you have to arrive at Dwarka. From Dwarka you can easily opt bus, cab or auto for the mandir.