- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh is a very famous temple of Uttarakhand and dedicated to Neelkanth Mahadev(Lord Shiva).
- It is located at a distance of about 32 km. from the main city of Rishikesh.
- The temple is surrounded by dense forests and adjoins the Nar-Narayan mountain ranges. The dense forests and mountain ranges of Nar-Narayan surround the temple at the confluence of the Madhumati and Pankaja rivers. Breathtaking views of the mountains and valleys complement the beautiful natural setting of the temple and attract tourists.
- The front door of the temple features the Samudra Manthan event which is beautifully carved on it.
- Neelkanth Temple is widely known for the sculptures of Asura and Deva engraved on Shikara temples depicting the mythological appearance of Samudra Manthana.
- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh is one of the most revered sacred sanctuaries dedicated to Lord Shiva and an important place of pilgrimage for Hindus.
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Timing and facts:-
9am – 5pm
Best Time to Visit
March to June
Nearest Railway Station
Rishikesh, Haridwar, Dehradun
Nearest Hill Station
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh History
- The history of Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple goes back to the mythological origin of the Samudra Manthan episode.
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Story
- According to legends, Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh is said to be an auspicious place where Lord Shiva drank the poison created by Samudramanthan, or the churning of the ocean by devatas and asuras. Therefore, Shiva took the name “Nilkanth”, which means “He who has a blue throat.” In commemoration of Shiva’s sacrifice for humanity, the devotees built this temple on the samespot where the event took place. Thus, the sacred place where Lord Shiva used to meditate to get rid of the pain from the poison in his throat has become a temple that is a major attraction among devotees all over the world.
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Architecture
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Weather
Summers - March to June
Monsoon - July to Sep
Winter - Oct to Feb.
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Festival
- The temple annually hosts two fairs on the occasion of Mahashivaratri (February-March) and Shivratri Shravana (month of the Hindu calendar) (July-August), during which devotees (kawarii) travel from Haridwar to Neelkanth temple. Mahedev. Maha Shivaratri is the most important festival celebrated in the temple and many devotees flock to the temple during the festival. The temple witnesses huge numbers of devotees during the Shiva festivals. That is why thousands of devotees visit it every year.
Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Darshan
- Darshan of Neelkanth Temple can be easily obtained on ordinary days except on occasions like Shivaratri and the rainy season when there is a huge influx of devotees. However, the ideal time to visit Neelkanth Mahadev is during the Shivaratri festival. On February 21, 2020, a large number of devotees visit the temples of Lord Shiva in different parts of the country to offer their prayers on the occasion of the sacred event of Maha Shivaratri.
- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh is one of the most famous holy places dedicated to Lord Shiva for all the devout Lord Shiva. The temple has ancient architecture and a very beautiful complex, consisting of a natural spring, in which devotees take a sacred bath before entering the temple grounds. Decorated with flowers and offerings made by devotees, the Shivalingam inside the temple is a place of worship.Pilgrims flock here for music, Puja ceremonies, performances, and decorating temples with flowers and lights. During the festival, a large number of devotees visit the temple to pay respect to the Lord. They offer various offerings such as honey, flowers, milk, water, coconut and bal leaves to Lord Shiva and receive blessings from the god.
Places to visit near Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple
- You can take amazing photos of the temple and the naturally beautiful area around it. If you love photography, you will be drawn to the beauty of the temples. Ram Jhula, Rajaji National Park, Lakshman Jhula, Triveni Ghat, Thera Manzil Temple, Bhutnath Temple, Geeta Bhawan and Sivananda Ashram are some pretty famous places to visit along with a visit to Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple.
How to Reach Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh?
- If you are going Shree Neelkanth Mahadev Temple by –
By Air – Nearest airport from Neelkanth Mahadev Temple is Jolly Grant Airport which is 49 km. far from the temple.
By Train – If you are going by train, then you have to arrive at Rishikesh Station. From there you can easily hire bus or cab.
By Road – Neelkanth Mahadev Temple in Rishikesh is well connected by road. So everyone can easily reach there.
Q. What is the best time to visit the Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Rishikesh Uttarakhand?
Ans. The best time to visit the Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Rishikesh Uttarakhand is from February to June and from September to December. During these months, the weather is pleasant, and the temple’s surroundings are lush and green, making it an ideal time to visit.
Q. Is there any entry fee to visit the temple?
Ans. No, there is no entry fee to visit the Neelkanth Temple. However, you may have to pay for other facilities like parking and prasadam.
Q. Can we take photographs inside the temple premises?
Ans. Yes, photography is allowed inside the temple premises. However, it is recommended to seek permission from the temple authorities before clicking photographs.
Q. What are the timings for the abhishekam and aarti at the temple?
Ans. The timings for the abhishekam are from 6:00 am to 11:30 am, and the timings for the aarti are from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Q. Are there any accommodation options available near the temple?
Ans. Yes, there are several accommodation options available near the temple, ranging from budget-friendly to luxury hotels and resorts.